Our FreeAgent integration has always been powerful, and now it has been simplified with 3 easy modes instead of lots of configuration that was simply too confusing.
At Timestamp we’re users and big fans of FreeAgent. That’s the reason why we decided to make it our first add-on. We ourselves use Timestamp for real-time project tracking with timesheets only, but do all expenses in FreeAgent.
One thing we’ve come to realise is that different companies expect the FreeAgent add-on to work in different ways. Some companies just want to use Timestamp for it’s real-time project tracking, whilst others want a replacement for the timesheet and/or expenses functionality in FreeAgent.
Another issue that crops up, and can cause confusion, is that Timestamp timesheets and expenses are a replacement of FreeAgent’s functionality. This is because we don’t support exporting back to FreeAgent and therefore can’t do a full sync (this feature is in consideration for a later date).
In order to improve the FreeAgent add-on experience we have made it easier to specify your use case, and then hide functionality within Timestamp that makes no sense based on the way you work. We therefore created 3 simple modes, which act as the default FreeAgent add-on experience:
###Real-time project tracking
– Description: I want to use Timestamp Timesheets and/or approvals. I will continue using FreeAgent for expenses.
– What will happens: Timeslips and expenses will be periodically imported. Adding new timesheets and expenses in Timestamp is disabled. Imported items can’t be modified in Timestamp.
###Real-time project tracking with timesheets
– Description: I want to use Timestamp timesheets and/or approvals. I will continue using FreeAgent for expenses.
– What will happens: Existing timeslips will be imported for historical reasons. Expenses will be periodically imported. Adding new expenses in Timestamp is disabled. Imported items can’t be modified in Timestamp.
###Real-time project tracking with timesheets and expenses
– Description: I want to use Timestamp timesheets, expenses and/or approvals.
– What will happens: Existing timeslips and expenses will be imported for historical reasons. Imported items can’t be modified in Timestamp.
If you’re a power user you can continue to configure everything yourself, as before, by viewing the advanced tab. If you’re a current user then you’re existing settings have not been changed.
in addition we now also disable the ability to create timesheets and/or expenses if you have specified that FreeAgent should own that functionality. This will reconfigure these areas of Timestamp and warn you and your colleagues:
Hopefully, these changes should make using Timestamp with FreeAgent a less confusing experience! Sound off in the comments and let us know what you think.